She came in, dressed quite professionally and handed me her resume. We then chatted for a bit before I started reviewing her resume before starting the interview. (I often offer feedback on the resume after the interview as needed.)
So...I'm skimming, I'm skimming...and I see that my new friend is a representative for Speedo, and I am immediately worried that this company has this sweet young college woman running around the concourse in a bathing suit. Then, I see that she participated in the 2004 Olympics in Athens, ("What a great volunteer experience," I think.) and it is at this point that I actually open my mouth and sound like an idiot.
Katie: "Wow. So you got to go to Athens for the Olympics?!"
Kirsty: "Yes. I did. It was wonderful!"
Katie: "Cool...so what did you do?"
Kirsty: "Well...I won a gold medal."
Katie:
And then I had to act all professional and interview her all the while thinking about the fact that I have an Olympic gold medalist IN MY OFFICE! I also had the brilliant realization that she wasn't running around the concourse in a bathing suit. She is getting PAID to wear their bathing suits while she's no doubt winning events all over the world.
But that was several years ago, and I don't think about it ALL the time when I worry that I am again going to say something ridiculous to a student. But with the Beijing Olympics, I was reminded again that I have met with greatness in my little office.
Do you know that Kirsty Coventry has her own entry on Wikipedia? If you Google her, you can find articles about how she is a HERO in her home country of Zimbabwe? Yeah...I helped her with her interviewing skills and resume. She no doubt laughs herself to the bank as she recalls that she once met some silly career counselor at Auburn that day.
Here are just some "fun facts" about Kirsty Coventry:
- She set the Auburn record of career Olympic medals and medals in a single Olympiad as she earned four to give her a career total of seven.
- She set world records in the 100 back and in the 200 back.
- Cesar Cielo and Kirsty combined to break eight Olympic records in four different events at the 2008 Games.
- 2008 Games: 200m Back, GOLD MEDAL; 400m IM, SILVER MEDAL; 100m Back, SILVER MEDAL; 200m IM, SILVER MEDAL
So...as football season starts...you might remember some of the other amazing athletic "giants" who attend or have attended Auburn! I certainly do.

5 comments:
Was I at CDS when this happened? I vaguely remember you coming in talking about that. Ha...that is great!
YES! I love it. This is a great, great story.
Love that story Katie! Don't feel bad...Phil has been quizzing me this morning on Auburn football so I won't sound like an idiot this weekend!
Ha! Happy Friday!!!
It was good to see you too! Love blog-stalking! How's the little man doing? I hope his ears are better!
Post a Comment