Porter and Betsy came into our bedroom Tuesday evening, but I was quickly reminded that they were NOT Porter and Betsy but Mary and Joseph. Betsy was "riding" her pillow (a.k.a. donkey) and had her favorite stuffed animal, Pink Bear, stuffed under her shirt. Porter was walking beside her with a scarf around her neck and hand on Betsy's shoulder. Porter asked me with a quite serious expression and tone if I had a place for them to rest so "her" wife could have her baby.
Playing along as a distracted and busy inn keeper, I said that no, I didn't have room and asked why their baby so important. They both chimed in to let me know that their baby was Jesus and was God's son and would allow me to someday get to go to heaven and BE with Jesus because he was being born and would die and rise again some day. "Oh...ok...well, then you can use my stable (closet)." (I'm wondering at this point how much guilt the inn keeper dealt with sticking Jesus in a stable because I felt guilty, and I was just talking about a place for a stuffed bear to be birthed from beneath a kid's t-shirt!)
They promptly set-up house in the stable/closet and I walked away. I came back later to learn that I had become a wise man, "no shepherd because they came first." (Jamie was a wise man because he came in later.) I asked Betsy how she was doing and she told me she had a scar from having Baby Jesus but that she was just fine. (Their awareness of my C-section scar from Jack has now woven itself into the retelling of the birth of Jesus...people get worse stuff wrong regarding Bible stories, right?) Porter then shared they would be heading to Egypt soon and we all moved on to different evening activities.
This made me smile so much. Me...when I first saw them come into the room, I asked Betsy if she was Santa riding his sleigh. Nope...these girls have their minds and hearts on the real reason we celebrate Christmas. I am humbled, and I am blessed!
6 years ago

6 comments:
What a wonderful story!
One time, while telling the story, I said that the donkey carried Mary to the Galleria (aka Galilee).
Those two are pretty amazing. I'm kinda surprised they didn't try to stuff Jack into some swaddling clothes so he could play along. 8-)
WOW..such perspective. I can only pray that I can steer Mattie away from the attraction of Santa and towards the Light of the World. Thanks for sharing...I too am blessed :)
That's so precious! I'm suprised the pink bear beat Jack out for Baby Jesus! :)
Katy, that place is in Baton Rouge. It's unbelievable. Open season on any sushi you could imagine! I enjoyed Porter and Betsey's rendition of the Christmas story. You're writing is always so much fun to read. We are looking forward to dinner with you guys.
Post a Comment