Monday, March 30, 2009

My Little Hunter

Background Information
Betsy has claimed that she will grow up, live in Opelika and be a hunter...and maybe a veterinarian (for the ones she only injures I guess) or maybe a teacher. The hunting part is consistent though. Neither of us come from hunting families so this is a pretty random career goal (types the career counselor).

Conversation This Morning Driving to School
Betsy: Mommy! Don't hit that bird in the road.
Mommy: I won't hit the bird, but he probably shouldn't be in the road. (The bird is eating a squished squirrel.)
Betsy: MOMMY! DID YOU HIT THE BIRD?! (She said frantically.)
Mommy: No, I didn't hit the bird.
Betsy: I don't want that bird to die. (She said tearfully...I swear she can produce tears on demand.)
Mommy: I don't either. (pause) But I thought you wanted to be a hunter, and hunters kill birds.
Betsy: (eye roll seen through rear view mirror) I want to be a hunter who kills rattle snakes, not birds. I will only kill bad things. I don't want to kill deer.
Mommy: Oh...I see. (sight of relief)

Just another day of life justified and explained through the four-year-old mind.

4 comments:

SGN said...

How awesome is it that God gave your family its very own built-in entertainment center. I always love reading about the things your kids do and say. You're such a good mom!

tmiller said...

Besty can come live with me!! I'm a hunter (closet hunter) that lives in Opelika. Oh, you've got to bring those kids out to my parents house to see the animals. What about Saturday??

Unknown said...

Interesting . . . Do you think she's confused because we call her "Betsy B" and yet we call her Aunt B "Hunter" (since, of course, that's her real name)?? Knowing Betsy, though, it's much more likely that she's just thought it out that much. Has she given up on making your neighbors move so she can live next door to you when she's grown?

JBFerguson said...

That is my kind of hunter!