Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Christmas Present for Your Marriage

I think Jamie is hard to buy for.

Guys don't want jewelry or the latest shirt style. (Jamie makes off-handed remarks that he could always use white dress shirts.) Guys don't want new gadgets for the kitchen. (Jamie is fine with saving old Cool Whip containers for left overs and transporting food to parties.) They don't want pretty towels. (The ones we've been using since college still dry...despite the shredded edges.) You get the picture.

So, every year I strive to find something fun, something practical and something creative for Jamie. BUT I ran across this list in an old Homelife, and I thought that committing to it was a good gift I could offer him...as well as to our marriage. On most days, I think we do a pretty good job of living up to this list's suggestions, but I can always use the reminder, and I thought others might appreciate it as well.

10 Ways to Seal Your Marriage Bond
1. Make Christ the center of your lives (Ecc.4:12)
2. Remain sexually and emotionally faithful (1 Cor.7:2-5)
3. Keep no secrets from your spouse (1 Cor.13:6)
4. Love and respect your spouse (Eph. 5:33)
5. Pray for your marriage (1 Thess. 5:17)
6. Be kind; forgive (Eph. 4:32)
7. Follow God's instructions for money management (1 Tim. 6:10)
8. Don't go to bed angry (Eph. 4:26-27)
9. Honor each other's parents (Ex. 20:12)
10. Always strive to make your marriage better (Phil. 3:12)
Resource: Homelife August 2008

Good stuff, huh? Merry Christmas.

3 comments:

Sarah Armstrong said...

The line Mark used to explain that same 'I don't need anything' mentality was, "As long as it is still functional, I see no need to replace it." I told him I was happy that I had the potential to stay functional for a while so that perhaps I wouldn't need replacing! :) Thanks for this list - some of them were really nice reminders! Hope y'all have a Merry Christmas!!!

Stephanie said...

Amen! You always inspire me! What better gift than a wonderful, peaceful, blessed, Christ centered marriage, huh?!

The Rouse Family said...

I LOVE THIS....it's great to have a God center relationship. It makes everything so much better. :o)