Wednesday, January 28, 2009

One Little, Two Little, Three Little Mantooths

More MySpace blog transfers... original post on July 17, 2007

JAMIE: Porter, Betsy, Mommy and I have something to tell you. Can you please come over here and sit down. (Betsy gathers pretend soup and spoon from the play kitchen. Porter pulls her chair over after asking if we want some soup.)
JAMIE: Girls...mommy is pregnant! She is going to have a baby!
KATIE: I have a baby in my tummy!
PORTER: (after some quiet thoughtfulness) Can you ask God for a baby brother? He should see that we have three girls and only one boy, and I want three girls and two boys.
BETSY: I want to see it.

Since Sunday morning when we told the girls...the following comments have followed:

CONVERSATION 1:
PORTER: Mommy, you can't eat anymore.
KATIE: Why?
PORTER: Because it will get on the baby.
KATIE: No...it's ok. There is a special place for the baby. It isn't in my stomach where my food goes.
PORTER: Well, you can't eat fried food because it isn't good for your body, and it might hurt the baby and then it will go back to heaven.
KATIE: Ummmm…(overwhelmed, again, by her four-year-old mind)…okay

CONVERSATION 2:
BETSY: Mommy, did you wash the baby?
KATIE: Ummm...no...it's inside me. It's actually in water all the time (realizing that this is making no sense to a two-year-old and probably just creating other bizarre "facts" in her little mind)
CONVERSATION 3:
KATIE: Porter, you'll get to teach Betsy how to be a big sister.
BETSY: I'm not the baby anymore?! (shock and awe...not sure if she's excited or not) I not too little anymore? (hallelujah moment as this is Betsy's theme song of late...too little for soccer...too little for ballet, etc.)
KATIE: That's right. You'll be bigger than the baby and can help take care of it
PORTER: I'm going to teach Betsy how to play "I Spy" because she doesn't understand it yet and always tells what she's spying, but we'll know how to play and teach the baby some day.
KATIE: Okay... (I truly spend a great deal of time being overwhelmed by her mind and thought processes)

CONVERSATION 4:
PORTER: Mommy, can I kiss the baby?
KATIE: Yes. (Porter kisses my belly.)
BETSY: Me too?
KATIE: Yes. (Betsy kisses my belly)
PORTER: I love my baby.
BETSY: I love my baby.
KATIE: I love the baby, and I love you girls!

This is what it's all about!!!

So…there it is…a snapshot of telling a two-year-old and four-year-old about being pregnant! It's still really early...I'm due in early March. All prayers for healthy development and my energy level are appreciated.

What's fun now is to see how much they truly, truly love Jack now that he is here!

No comments: