MySpace Blog Transfer: Original Post: July 18, 2007
My Bible Study group is reading, "A Woman of Contentment" which is a study of Ecclesiastes. It has been a great read for me to keep in check my periodic bouts of "gimmies" and "whoa-is-me's," but it has given me some direction in how to pray as loved ones go through trials...much more serious than my most recent frustration with a dying yard because we respect conserving water during a drought while our neighbors sport a lush, green lawn. ;)
Here are my thoughts:
"I denied myself nothing my eyes desired; I refused my heart no pleasure. My heart took delight in all of my work, and this was the reward for all my labor. Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind; nothing was gained under the sun." Eccl, 2:10-11
There is some encouragement, I suppose, in that the wisest man ever (Solomon) messed up too! But here it is...I could conceivably, buy whatever I wanted (you know, so I would look cuter and trendier, of course); I could drink and eat whatever (because hey, life is fleeting right...may as well enjoy it while I'm here!); I could work really hard and put aside my family in order to make more money and so people would tell me I'm doing a good job; I could conceivably go find some man that, for the immediate time, would somehow suit my needs better than my husband (this one is a stretch because my husband is the best!), etc. You get my drift? But it's all meaningless. It's a chasing after the wind. If I'm NOT doing everything to glorify God...it ain't worth nothin'.
It makes my heart sad that so many are pursuing this "wind." Their hearts must be so empty when they turn the lights off and they can't see their big house or fancy clothes and they feel no connect with loved ones....
Our minister preached on 1 Thes. 4:11-12 yesterday:
"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody." 1 Thes. 4:11-12
He shared the following tips to prepare if Jesus is coming soon (claimed they were different than the typical "end times" sermon):
- Work harder (Just because you think Jesus is coming doesn't mean you can do nothing. He also talked about that we need to work to provide, not to just get a warm, fuzzy feeling about what we do each day.)
- Rest more (You're a better servant if you aren't exhausted.)
- Mind your own business (There's witnessing…and then there is beating people up. Assess those with open hearts and love those who aren't ready to hear God's word yet.)
So…be it a time of trial or one of rich abundance (There is a time for everything, you know?), I'm trying to live so that I'm serving God, not "the man" or this world. I'm living by faith in God's plan for me and my loved ones, not always understanding where it is going.
I pray that you are too….

No comments:
Post a Comment