First of all, if you are a mommy and haven't read Karen Kingsbury's "Let Me Hold You Longer"...you should read it immediately. As if watching a child grow-up isn't hard enough, she articulates each passing stage perfectly. What struck me while reading the book is that as parents we get very caught up in our children's firsts. People market baby books so we can document these: first smile, first tooth, first time rolling over, sitting, and crawling, first haircut, first cereal...the list goes on. Well, this book reminded me to watch closely so as to not miss the "lasts."
"Long ago you came to me,
a miracle of firsts:
First smiles and teeth and baby steps,
a sunbeam on the burst.
But one day you will move away
and leave to me your past,
And I will be left thinking of
a lifetime of your lasts..."
~ from Let Me Hold You Longer Karen Kingsbury
Well...I know it's been coming, but Jack walked tonight...really walked. (This was not just the fleeting steps that are really just awkward, forward moving falling.) He went back and forth from Jamie to me several times, growing more and more confident with each pass. After falling in the middle of the rug, he did not crawl. He planted his hands and feet on the ground, squatted, lifted his hands, balanced, stood up and continued his "journey."
So...witness...a baby no more. (And check out how proud he is of himself!)

2 comments:
Yay for Jack, he's so cute! I think I took all those baby milestones for granted with Luke, I'm going to really try not to do that with Aubrey. I miss you guys, hope all is well with you!
Christen
Yeah congrats to Jack! My little girl is only 8 weeks old and there have already been lasts, sad!
Post a Comment