- Woke up at 6:30
- Fed children breakfast (Jamie was already at work)
- Read creative rhyming, picture, shape and ABC's (though mind numbing to my adult mind) books to Jack for almost an hour
- Read (slightly more entertaining) books to Porter and Betsy for another 30 minutes
- Ran/walked 2 miles on the treadmill
- Fed children lunch
- Read more to the kids and listened to Porter read
- Got everyone down for naps (twice for Jack)
- Completed two art projects
- Answered and sent emails (personal and work)
- Prepared dinner for kids
- Dressed for dinner with friends
- Educated babysitter on options for the evening
- Enjoyed evening with grown-ups
Not too shabby, huh? Yeah...but here's the rest of the story:
- Blew it at least twice an hour, yelling at the girls who refused to fit into MY plan for the day
- Broke Jack's heart when I wouldn't hold him because I needed to get just "ONE MORE" email out for work (on my day off)
- Put off my Bible Study so I could exercise and never found time for it again that day
- Fed my kids peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for the 5th time that week
- Recruited Porter to read to both Jack and Betsy because I was beyond bored with mooing and woofing
Again...blog I would like to post:
How cute is Jack? He went to the grown-up bookshelf and picked out "As a Man Thinketh" on his own and actually seemed intrigued...
The rest of the story...he destroyed the backless bookshelf. Most of the books on the bottom two shelves are all over the floor (under, in front of and behind the shelf) and have been there since the weekend. I fussed at him (which he didn't understand) when I walked in and saw what he had done.
Sweet friends and family (and famed "blog stalkers who don't even know me"), I love the concept of blogs. I love learning what is going on in others' lives! I like learning tips and ideas from others. I wish others would jump on board and create one too. I wish everyone would update more often.
With that said, my challenge is for us all to remain transparent, honest and true. While this is a great avenue to share the amazing things (and challenges) that are going on in our lives, I suspect we often leave out the "rest of the story." Sometimes, it's because it's just plain boring. But sometimes it's because of pride, shame and selfishness that we create this "life" on line that is a far cry from reality. That ultimately brings no glory to ourselves. The truth always emerges through our actions or inner turmoil no matter the work we do to create masks and facades. And that facade doesn't minister to our readers. If they are wise, they walk away either thinking you are delusional or a liar. If they are in a particularly vulnerable place, they may walk away wondering why life has been so hard on them and so easy for "you."
On the other hand, I don't think blogs are the place to air personal drama. There should be narrowing levels to our circles of friendships, and we should be wise enough to know who needs to hear what and who to seek guidance from concerning certain issues.
Blog appropriate: "What type of car seat should I buy for my kid?"
Not blog appropriate: "I hate Dr. Soandso's nurse because of xyz. Don't you hate them too?"
(I swear I picked those statements at random and apologize that if as I start to "blog cruise" someone I know has done either thing.) Yikes!
Keep it real and true my blogging friends. I'm trying....



7 comments:
Thanks for being so honest Katie...I was supposed to be playing with Luke in his baby pool, but instead I was catching up on my blog reading :) Don't think he liked it too much b/c he just picked up the baby monitor and threw it in the pool!
Amen to that! I appreciate your honesty. It's refreshing to know that no one really has it all together and some of us are willing to let the walls down a bit. So glad the boys have gotten to play softball together this summer... Hope to see you again soon
Thanks for the encouragement and the honesty! You are such a blessing to so many. Miss you!
Great Post Katie! I love your honesty!! When I first started to read-I thought oh gosh I'm such a horrible mother...glad to know you are keeping it real!
AMEN sister! Each day I blow it , many times a day...I often find myself thinking, "one day I will want them to 'want' me or 'need' me" and does "this" that I MUST do really matter really...
Thanks for opening up...you bless me so much in so many ways Katie!
What a great reminder to us all! I know a lot of times I read others blogs and think that everything looks so easy for them. I have to keep reminding myself that they just don't mention the bad/difficult things.
How beautiful...and so true!
Time goes by fast, moms....enjoy those babies. I know...mine are 34 and 26(Brooke Vakakes). I am now enjoying the grandchildren from these two.
Not sure why I just randomly chose to read your blog from Brooke's page, but glad I did.
Kathy Webb
Post a Comment