You know...lots of people hurt themselves in the kitchen. You might cut yourself preparing veggies or opening a can. You might drop and break a bowl or worse...a jar full of something juicy and smelly like pickles, but no...not me. Tonight while preparing dinner, I think I lost a toenail. Before you all declare you will never eat at our home again, let me explain:
Jamie and I were both getting dinner ready. He was putting the burgers together, and I was making fruit salad (which I ultimately failed to put out), a cake, spinach dip and preparing the burger toppings. While I stood cutting an onion, Jamie opened the drawer under the stove where we keep our cookie sheets. My foot was under that drawer. It was pain that drove me to create new words (because I really don't cuss) and to the floor. After holding my foot for a good minute while I evaluated if the stars I was seeing might be in the shape of a familiar constellation, I finally looked. It was a quick glance, which was hastily followed by, "You're fixing it. I can't look at it."
So, Dr. Jamie wrapped a large band-aid around my Neosporin-ed toe, and I hobbled into the kitchen to continue preparing dinner for us and our friends. Soon, that fourth left toe felt obligated to share the pain. No lie, my middle toe started tingling. I told it that sharing was not required and went on.
Hours later...the pain has subsided, and I'm trying to mentally prepare myself to look at it tomorrow morning.
6 years ago

2 comments:
Oh, HOW BAD!!!! I'm so sorry! Hope it gets better!
OK, I'm not laughing at you -- really -- but I'd be interested to hear those words you created. And your persistence to finish preparing dinner is quite admirable.
Post a Comment