Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Cold Redefined: The Good, Bad and Ugly

Most folks who know me know that I get cold easily. Coworkers who visit my office in the summer usually preempt the visit with an IM stating, "Turn on your AC. I'm coming to visit and don't want to melt." So, I'm usually prepared to be cold wherever I am. But...Boise in November...I thought I was going to lose at least three of my toes on my right foot during the football game! I know, I know..."real" boots would have helped, but I was determined to pay for only one suitcase for our trip, and I maxed out our shared bag at 49 lbs (just shy of the limit by 1 lb) and my hiking boots didn't fit into that equation.

Cold Experience #1
Betsy was most excited (other than seeing Sarah and Ryan) to see the mountain and conquer it. (Jamie had recently explained the "game" Kind of the Mountain which Betsy took quite literally as she often does with her four-year-old mind.) So, Friday morning we headed up to Bogus Basin to see the mountain.) And there we found SNOW! It was pretty...but we didn't stay long.


Betsy & Me

Betsy & Sarah

Betsy: Queen of the Mountain

Our little snow angel

Not so angelic...

Cold Experience #2
Boise State vs Idaho...1:30 start time. The skies were blue...the temperature...not over 37 and worse with the windchill. At one point, I took Betsy to the bathroom (heated) where we both sat on the floor, took off our boots and socks and warmed our toes. (If you also know about my cootie issues you know that I was cold to sit on the floor of a public bathroom!) We must have looked pretty pitiful rubbing our feet between our hands...so much so that two different women came through and offered us their hand warmers. (I recommend these!) I was VERY relieved to make it back to the car and determine that I wasn't going to spend the rest of my trip in Boise at the hospital having my frostbitten digits removed.

Pregame shot...aren't they cute...down to the matching cookies!

Not-So-Cold Experience
Sarah's 30th birthday was this past weekend, and Betsy and I were excited to share that with her, so we celebrated by getting our nails done during the day and enjoying an evening at The Melting Pot. Betsy enjoyed a Shirley Temple, cooking our food for us, timidly trying a few meats and veggies and eating as much chocolate as possible.

Betsy's fancy drink (Check out those orange and blue nails!)

Pretty girls out on the town

Betsy and the chocolate...trouble!

Not-So-Cold Blue Experience
Why have an uncle who works for Boise State if you can't go hang-out on the blue field?!

"It feels like blue grass."

Watching the band.

Yes, BSU may use this shot for promotions...her royalties aren't too high yet.

The reasons we will go back...

Betsy LOVES Herbie: She read to him...a lot.

We both enjoyed visiting Uncle Ryan and Aunt Sarah.
So, we will return...when it is warmer!

1 comment:

Christen said...

The picture of you and Betsy in front of the snowy trees is gorgeous...that would be a great Christmas card picture if the rest of the family was there :)
Love Betsy's blue and orange finger nails!