While it's fresh on my mind, I wanted to pass on the encouragement that our youth minister, Alan Jones, shared yesterday from the pulpit: Remember what the cross really means. Remember what Easter is really about. Sure, the bunny is cute, but the cross...it's the focus...or should be.
One of Jesus' statements on the cross was "It is finished" (John 19:30) which in Greek is tetelestai. According to Alan's summary and a little Googling, tetelestai is a Greek commercial term that was used to signify that a transaction was completed, the full payment of a price was made, or a debt was discharged by a completed payment. In the Roman business world, it was used to indicate that a debt had been completely paid. Ancient receipts have been found with “Tetelestai” written across them, meaning: ‘Paid in full’.
According to a blog I found, the term tetelestai was also used to "announce the completion of a task. In reporting back to the one who had sent him on a mission, a servant could say, “Tetelestai”, which meant: ‘Mission accomplished.’” (Move over Tom Cruise! There is no mission impossible for my God!)
So when Jesus cried out in a loud voice and breathed his last (Mark 15:37), it was a shout of triumph, not a cry of defeat. When Jesus said “Tetelestai”, he was saying MY debt of sin had been paid in full.
I wish I could say the same for say...my mortgage...but I'll take eternity in heaven over my house being paid off any day! So, friend, while you're talking about Easter plans this week, take the time to point to the cross.
6 years ago

1 comment:
Katie I love this! Alan did such a great job in the message on Sunday and it really shed a light on this week of Easter.
Post a Comment