Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Genetics

Porter announced last night that we all have genes. The "g" kind, not the "j" kind. Betsy went on to profess that she was indeed NOT wearing jeans and that Porter should stop telling her that she was. Porter tried to explain but eventually just rolled her eyes (big sister style) and dinner went on in its normal chaotic style.

Speaking of genes, Jamie and I apparently passed on some pretty lousy ear ones. Both of us had tubes and other ear surgeries early in life...this should make our later years fun. Do they still make those huge ear horn things?

Porter had tubes just after her one-year birthday which cleared up her infections, but her breathing continued to be so labored (we could hear her across the house) that she had her adenoids out at two. Betsy apparently dodged the bullet and has had minimal ear infections and has avoided tubes thus far. I chalked it up to our successful full year of nursing (which I didn't do with Porter) and couldn't have been prouder. Jack, however, also nursed a year and has continued to have ear infections even after tubes were put in almost exactly a year ago. So, Monday, May 3, Jack had his ear tubes replaced, his adenoids removed and blood drawn for an allergy test.

Poor kid. People talk about how you shouldn't spank your kid because it makes them not trust you and think you don't love them. Hog wash. However, I seriously wonder how yesterday's experience may have effected Jack's trust.

PRE-OP

ME: "Look Jack...a fun wagon!"
JACK: "Wawon!!!"

ME: "Yay...a nurse...she's going to put this cool bracelet on your ankle."
JACK: "I hab baplet!!!"

ME: "Bye, bye Jack. Tell the doctor hi for me."
JACK: Never uttered a word...was all laid back in the bed as it rolled down the hallway...just watching the nurses

RECOVERY

ME: "Jack, Jack...it's going to be ok."
JACK: "Noooooooooooooooooo" "Momma" (I hold him.) "Noooooooooooooooooo!" "Dadda" (Jamie holds him.) This went on a while.

ME to NURSE: "Is he ok? He keeps rubbing his mouth and nose...ow! and he just pinched me."

ME:"Do you want water? Juice?"
JACK: "No." "JUICE!!!!!"

Oh how he cried! He kept trying to pull the IV out of his foot. His nose must have tingled as he woke up. The nurse said it was similar to feeling drunk and that toddlers don't know how to deal with that. Duh. So, I pray he isn't a drinker...it won't be pretty. He even threw up on me.

They told us to take him home and feed him regularly. We tried yogurt...soy yogurt. It doesn't look wonderful in the first place, but it was really gross the second time around.

Jamie stayed at home with him during the day, and by the time I got home it was like the morning had never happened. He was all out happy. Bedtime was a little rough, but I took advantage of the fact that he was exhausted and able to fall asleep in my arms.

Here are a couple of pictures:



Check out Jack's forehead. He got on his little plastic tricycle and rode down our rather steep driveway and met the pavement. It didn't even bleed, and he complained more about his nose hurting than his head. I'm just SO happy that he didn't get hit by a car or run into a parked one. But if you want to see what a pavement imprint looks like...just zoom in.

1 comment:

Christen said...

Poor little guy! Hope this clears up all his ear infections!