Friday, August 27, 2010

Boosterthon 2010

I suppose that every elementary school aged child has to go through the rite of passage in selling stuff for the annual school fund raiser. We were introduced to this last year when Porter was in first grade, and I am still happy with the program her school has chosen. Rather than sell "stuff" most of us really don't need (chocolate, cookie dough, etc.) or want (Really, how many rolls of wrapping paper can one person use?) the kids are challenged with gathering pledges to support them in a run. The staff spends a week prior to the run promoting wellness, leadership and character. It's great.!

This year, Porter took on soliciting pledges almost completely on her own. She memorized a script and called family and friends across the country with the skills of a well trained telemarketer. (Luckily, she's cute and only seven so it wasn't quite as obnoxious...I hope!)

The run was yesterday, and parents and Aubie showed up to support the kids. The first through third graders ran "together" on two different tracks. The soundtrack had the parents dancing and encouraged the kids to take breaks from running with laps of "flying," dancing and walking. Porter's goal was 35 laps (the cap amount for donations and 5 more than she completed last year). Well, she met and exceeded her goal! And she told me yesterday that she raised more money than anyone else in her class!! (I'm a proud momma and former elementary school "selling champ"...earned a dirt bike one year as the top seller in the school!) She was disappointed to come in one dollar short to earn the prize she had her eye on, but I suspect that Santa or a Grandparent might receive a "tip" that a Vectron Wave would make a really well-received present come birthday/Christmas time!


Aubie helping get the kids pumped to get started!


Porter hydrating before she starts her run.


And...they're off!!


Mannnnnnny laps later...taking a slow lap.


Finishing strong! 


44 laps total...they ran out of places to mark!

I walked the final lap with her...SO proud of my Porter girl!

No comments: