Sunday, July 20, 2008

Cupcakes...a girl's best friend

Well maybe not a girl's best friend, but they ARE a fun way to bring dear friends together....

They came...


They decorated...



They ate...

and then...they danced!

Porter headed to Altanta for a big girl weekend with her aunt so I told Betsy she could have a friend over on Saturday who she hadn't seen in a while. She got SO excited...and then promptly rattled off a list of others she wanted to join them. (Maybe she is my child afterall...) So...I sent out last minute emails, and a few friends were able to join Betsy for PB&J's, apples, carrots, milk...and SUGAR! If you know me, you may be shocked, but it was a special event so we went all out...M&M's, Reese's Pieces, licorice and Jelly Belly's...well...and low sugar icing. (I know, I know...I couldn't help myself.... I figured that eliminating even a little bit was better than nothing...irregardless of the 10 tons of candy placed lovingly and creatively on top of it...)

All the girls gathered on one bench to eat and decorate (I guess the "doing things in mass" starts early...). Caden kept a safe distance and enjoyed his mom's assistance. (Were he older, there would have no doubt been a sigh of relief when Caleb arrived later...a few years later, and he might have been in the middle of the bench.) After multiple washings (because they kept needing to get clean to go back and eat more) they headed to the playroom to play dress-up, restaurant, Legos, blocks, read books, etc. If mess equals fun...Betsy throws a mean Saturday afternoon party! Friends staying to help clean-up...means Mommy has really good friends.

Us mommies got to visit a bit...and that was lots of fun for me! I thank them all for indulging us in a little crazy on a Saturday!

I hope no one had any sugar crashes later. I know that Betsy (after some time) fell into a deep sleep for her nap. Good times...good times...as my college buddies would say.

3 comments:

LW said...

Thank you so much for having us over. Caden had such a good time that he went home and crashed for an almost 4 hour nap. I was a bit surprised, but relieved b/c I got a good nap in myself :)

megmed said...

i think you're the best mommy ever - what a fun afternoon you & miss betsy threw! i might have to have one for the grown up girls in dc sometime :) i love the dress-up/dance picture. the flapper look must be back in style!

Kate said...

Katie, your blog cracks me up. I guess your kids don't know that all parents aren't as creative as you are , but if I came over to play, I'd feel like I was at Odyssey of the Mind or Children's workshop. I guess it's not that different than how you grew up. Your mom always did the best clues for charades.