Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Forever Late

We are perpetually late these days. If you've lived with me, you know I don't shine in the mornings. However, before we had children and even when it was just Porter, Jamie and I got up each morning to work-out at the gym and got to work before most of our coworkers. We so enjoyed getting those primo parking places. If we get one these days it's because someone else has gotten to work and gone to run errands by the time we get there.

So, this morning was like every other...up by 5:45 and still running late. After hastily applying make-up (because I can't do it in the car today because I'm driving), I am rushing out of the bathroom to call for the girls so I can get their hair done. However, I stopped in my tracks because this is the scene I found in my bedroom:

Actually, before I got my camera Betsy was sitting on the other side of Jack. Porter was reading out of Genesis to both of them. I don't know if it's because it's easy to find or a love of history or what but Porter LOVES Genesis, and beware grown-ups; she is a walking Bible Trivia game. (I get so intimidated...I wish I was kidding!)

But I was so blessed by this image, and I wanted to share it with you. In our busy whirlwind morning, Porter took the time to get in God's Word. I am humbled. I can't say the same for myself...opted for ParentLife magazine this morning.... So my goal for the day is to be more childlike.

And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 18:2-4)

4 comments:

Sarah Armstrong said...

What a powerful picture. As I opened your blog I heard the song "I Can Only Imagine" come on the television in the other room. It's on a station it woudn't normally be played on - I don't imagine that's coincidence. I know I am guilty of getting so busy with life that I forget to have that child-like awe of God and his mighty power. We can't even IMAGINE his goodness or love. Thanks, Porter, for the reminder.

John and Brooke said...

That is absolutely precious!!!

Kelley said...

Oh Katie, I am humbled as well. What a reminder to prioritize God's word and become childlike!
Many blessings to you beautiful family today and always!

The Gentrys said...

That is so sweet Katie!