Betsy's first dance recital was last night. Throughout the year she has complained about getting into her leotard for dance and claimed that she wanted to quit. We told her she didn't have to take again but that she had to finish what she started. Then...there was Monday...dress rehearsal. Betsy had a good time. Then...there was yesterday...showtime! I do believe this girl was in her "element."
After swim lessons, we rushed the girls through bath time and I practiced my newly learned bun-making skills from an on-line tutorial and started getting Betsy ready. Not only did I need to get her hair up for her ballet performance, I needed to secure it enough to withstand her acrobatics performance which came first. (not brilliant planning in my opinion...) Betsy said she didn't want make-up and didn't understand my explanation for the need because of the bright lights that would be on her face. I think she literally thought someone was going to attach a light to her face. (augh...the beauty of being four) So...hair in place, make-up applied...this girl had a HUGE smile on her face.
I am proud to share that Betsy did a great job. She smiled and "rocked" during her acrobatics number. (There has to be a better way to let these kids display these skills though...painful to watch group after group awkwardly attempt forward rolls and bear crawls.) Betsy also did a great job during her ballet number. After the recital, I asked if she had enjoyed herself, and she said, "Yes. I want to do it again next year!" Why is practicing not nearly as much fun as the actual event? It seems to be human nature.
The pictures are from both the rehearsal (hair not properly fixed and without ballet shoes...we only made it with one...nice!) and the recital. The videos are from rehearsal. Enjoy our Day o' Betsy!
So...we're "mean parents" and don't let Betsy watch "Hannah Montana." (I won't get on my soapbox regarding that issue.) However, it sure was fun to watch her embrace one of her favorite school/dance songs with her friends...the "cool" ones who actually got to go see the movie. Sigh.... (And I still don't understand why my mom wouldn't let me run around the house singing "Like a Virgin" in grade school. what?!) (I am so kidding!)
And here is a little snippet of our beautiful ballerina.
6 years ago




4 comments:
Congrats B! She looks so big with her make-up! I cracked up that you watched an online tutorial on making a bun!! :)
I love little girls' ballet recitals, they're so cute & can be very humorous! Betsy looks so pretty in her costume & make up, and she looked very proud of herself during the recital!
She looks so grown up and adorable. What fun!
love the hot pink ballet outfit!!! She looks so cute and sassy in it!!!
Post a Comment