Thursday, November 4, 2010

White Chicken Chili

Jamie loves my regular chili, even when I make it with ground turkey, and that makes me happy. He even eats the black beans I put in it! However, his lack of love for the "bean" has resulted in me never trying a white chili because I'm afraid that anything beyond the black bean will push him over the edge.

Earlier this week I hosted my U1000 (freshmen) students and since I potentially needed to feed 23 college students (only nine showed-up), I decided that it was an opportunity to diversifying my chili repertoire. So, here is my version of Pampered Chef's White Chicken Chili.

White Chicken Chili
3 whole heads of garlic (about 48 cloves), unpeeled
3/4 tsp salt, divided
3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
1 small can of diced green chili peppers
1 medium onion, diced
2 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 Tbsp of chili seasoning
2 cans (15.5 oz each) Great Northern Beans, drained
1 jar (16 oz) salsa verde (look in the more authentic Mexican section)
  1. Cut the POINTY side of the garlic head to expose cloves, place in microwavable dish, sprinkle with a bit of salt (is this really needed?) and some oil. Microwave on high for 3 minutes or until soft. (Good luck getting those suckers squeezed out without smelling like garlic. I rubbed my hands on the sink,and it seemed to work...or no one is telling me that I still smell like garlic.)
  2. Cook the onion, chicken (I have the deep covered baker to do this in the microwave, but you could do it on the stove as well.), seasoning, peppers and oil and cook until cooked through.
  3. Squeeze out the garlic into a mixing bowl (discard skins) and mash. Add beans and salsa verde. Add entire mixture to chicken mixture, mix well and cook until warm and well integrated.
Yields about 8 cups...so good AND healthy!

1 comment:

The Muncies said...

Yes!!!!! Salsa verde! I bet that is my missing ingredient! I love salsa verde!!! Thanks for sharing!!